UNT realized that during large school events, access to cellular connection was unavailable; even for public safety officers.
As one of Texas’ largest universities, with a population of just over 36,000 students and offering 98 bachelor’s, 82 master’s and 36 doctoral degree programs, the University of North Texas (UNT) has faculty and staff prepare students for the challenges they will meet in our changing world. Along with focus on the betterment of the student’s education and experience, UNT also concentrates on the safety of their students and the nearby community. The University of North Texas Police Department’s mission is to protect life, property, and individual rights. With regular development on emergency response, UNT realized that during large school events, access to cellular connection was unavailable; even for public safety officers. With the existing command post, UNT was able to manage crowd control, but there was no other form of communication when cellular data was congested due to large crowds. UNT had an existing command post which was useful for organizing events and crowd control; however they found it to be lacking the robust communications system they wanted and needed if an emergency event were to occur. In preparation for any emergency event, UNT found it crucial to communicate with public safety offices without relying on phone lines and cellular phones.
- Entire System Ready in less than 3 minutes.
- Phones to function without requiring handset changes.
- Broadband data for public Internet access.
- Private data for secure link.
- Secure Long Range Wi-Fi capabilities for the University Police staff and key Leadership
- Not using traditional ‘Sat Phone’ technology
- On board clean power UPS generation communications system
- Industry Leading Warranty
- Non Technical Staff Trained and Functional in under 3 minutes
In realizing their need for a reliable satellite internet communications system for immediate access to local and federal public safety offices, they found Squire Tech’s Mobile Responder 600 equipment and service package to be the perfect solution.
With the demand for a fully functional mobile command post, UNT wanted a satellite communications system that offered all the features and benefits while being completely user friendly. Squire Tech Solutions’ Mobile Responder (MR600) features a simple “single button” deployment, giving immediate access to high speed satellite internet communications. The satellite communications service plan provided to UNT meant low satellite latency for high quality broadband internet data, voice and WIFI access. This gave UNT the critical communications they needed with complete mobility on their mobile command post.
- “Instant on” – using VSAT (typically in under 3 minutes)
- Operates using iDirect Satellite Equipment
- Secure Network capability restricts general public access to only those who are registered.
- Unit can support up to 50 concurrent calls.
- WiFi coverage area up to ½ mile radius
"The mobile command post is equipped with 4 VOIP telephones, two hard-wired computers with full internet and network access and long-range Wi-Fi for enhanced communications options out in the field. Working with Squire Tech to outfit our command post was a positive experience and every member of their team was professional and understood the needs of a public safety agency.``"− UNT Police Technical Services Manager - B. Varcoe